PLEASE NOTE: My strata blogs are for use on an as-needed basis. Some subject matter is disturbing, but it is not intended to be used in a malicious manner. I am seeking a reasonable level of accountability but would rather that it not be harmful to the parties named.

I would much rather delete all of my blogs and their contents than to have to live with the burdens created by the ongoing necessity of their existence.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

My excerpts from Johnny's Crusade

What’s the Point of a Moral Crusade if Nothing Changes?
I echo the words from June 10th, 2010 by Johnny Stork, mostly without modification:

Some of the strata owner groups I have contacted have indicted that I am wasting my time, nothing will change - there is no “teeth” in either the SPA or PIPA to force either property management companies, or members of strata councils, to comply with the law. If this is the case – that I am on this “Ethical/Moral Crusade” regardless of the personal cost and there is little chance that the law will ever be enforced, and nothing will change – it certainly begs the question “what’s the point?”

This question assumes that the only motivation for acting or speaking out against something you know to be wrong, is the likelihood of succeeding and effecting positive change. But I disagree. We should always SPEAK OUT or ACT against something we KNOW TO BE WRONG. Regardless of the likelihood of success or actually changing things for the better. After all, what’s the point of having a conscience if we don’t listen to it?

Act, Conscience, Ethical Crusade, Legislative Reform, Moral Compass, PIPA, Public Scrutiny, Regulations, SPA, Strata Council, Strata Lawyer, Strata Owner, Strata President,

It is my own conscience that compels me to act. I, and most other strata owners, cannot afford court orders to force strata agents (strata managers, strata presidents, strata councils, and worst of all, strata lawyers) to comply with the Acts and Regulations that are the law of the land. So it would be nice if my efforts produce tangible results in the form of public scrutiny, legislative reform, or intervention from related agencies or licensing bodies.

However, these tangible outcomes are not necessary, or required for me to act or to speak out against something I know to be wrong. Nor are they necessary for me to feel that I have accomplished something in the end. All that is required is for me to act against something I consider to be wrong, regardless of whether or not I actually change things for the better. It would be naive of me to think that every time I try to improve things, I succeed.

In my opinion, what is important (to me) is to make the effort to TRY to improve things, it is not necessarily to succeed.

**************
A person is constituted by their actions. 

I am only in control of and accountable to myself - and that is the moral compass
that guides and sustains me.

Encouraging Quotes:

“The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience.“ (Gandhi)

“The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character.“ (Margaret Smith)

“To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice. “ (Confucius)

“The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave. It’s the age-old struggle: the roar of the crowd on the one side, and the voice of your conscience on the other.“ (Douglas MacArthur)

“The safest course is to do nothing against one’s conscience. With this secret, we can enjoy life and have no fear from death.“ (Voltaire)

“A good conscience is to the soul what health is to the body; it preserves constant ease and serenity within us; and more than countervails all the calamities and afflictions which can befall us from without.“ (Joseph Addison)

“Conscience… is the impulse to do right because it is right, regardless of personal ends.“ (Margaret Graham)